What is Linux Linux kernel Linux utilities and Linux distro - Linux Fedora Core Project.
What is Linux?
Linux is complete multitasking and multi-user operating system base/clone from UNIX operating system.
Performance similar to high-end UNIX operating system.
Linux originally developed for 32-bit x86-based PC (Intel CPU base), platform.32-bit or 64-bit architecture
Today Linux operating system also runs on 32-bit or 64-bit architecture on the Compaq Alpha AXP, Sun SPARC and UltraSPARC, Motorola 68000, PowerPC, PowerPC64, ARM, Hitachi SuperH, IBM S/390, MIPS, HP PA-RISC, Intel IA-64, DEC VAX, AMD x86-64, AXIS CRIS, and Renesas M32R architectures.
• The core of operating system.
• The interface between system hardware and software.
• Tranlates hardware language to or that can be use by the operating system (Hardware driver).
• Developed from scratch by Linus Torvalds with assistant programmers, hackers around the globe.
• Actually ‘Linux’ is just the kernel, all Linux Operating System distributions used Linux kernel as the kernel for their operating system.
Linux Associated Utilities.
• Standard tools found on (nearly) all Linux systems
• Many important parts of software, tools, compilers, debugger, editor, application utilities come from the GNU project.
• Massive number of software packages for all kind of purposes.
• Free Software Foundation’s project to make a free Unix
• Some claim the Linux Operating System as a whole should be call ‘GNU/Linux’
Linux distro is complete Linux operating system, ready to install and can be running on your PCs or Servers.
• Usually call Linux Distro.
• Gather and compile by various vendors.
• Free and open source.
• Kernel plus utilities plus other tools, packaged up for end users.
• Generally with installation program
• Distributors include: Fedora Core, Red Hat, Debian, SuSE, Mandrake
Keywords: what is linux, linux kernel, linux free operating system, linux emulate unix, linux perform like unix os, linux linus torvalds, Linux free software, fedora free software, linux operating system, linux distributions.
Thanks for Reading and Check Other Popular Linux Topics
- Configure and Setup Squid Cache Proxy Server on Fedora Core.
- Using Linux rm command to delete, remove hidden files and folder - Basic Linux Command.
- Copy Linux Files and Copy Directory Using cp Command - Linux Basic Command.
- Moving or rename files and directory using Linux mv command - Basic Linux Command.
- Add, view, edit and configure route and static route on Linux Fedora Core - Linux Server Configuration.
- Get and display the size of file and directory in Linux system using du command.
- Step by step Install Setup and Configure Linux Fedora Core Server and Network Management with Screen Shot and Example.
- Create file and display file contents in Linux using cat command.
- Configure Squid to block HTTP request to specific web sites.
- Example of samba smbpasswd file and samba smbusers configuration file.